Friday, October 07, 2005

Introduction to Design

Hmmm…such ‘Information Rich’ title… “Introduction to Design”
“Introduction to Design” as in ‘Introducing…iPOD’
“Introduction to Design” as in “London to New York”…

What I meant was the latter… ‘Introduction’ to ‘Design’…

Are you wondering what is ‘Information Rich’…well by ‘Information Theory by Shanon’…A statement which has ambiguity is information rich…means it may have multiple interpretations…hence Information Rich.

So first we start by introduction…one of my friends gave me this great idea…that I should ‘Introduce’ my self… (wooow why didn’t I think of it…)

I’m Abhishek, wanting to be an architect but turned into a New Media designer then struggles to understand New Media so drifted to Usability, Interaction Design and Information Architecture… = complete MESS (Hence proved)...I hope people now would have sympathy with me…

With all due respect to design gurus I’m unnecessarily trying to redefine DESIGN.
Design is not about drawing skills, graphics, color, interesting forms or aesthetics. It a was of life and way of looking at things…its as close to logic and reasoning as it is to aesthetics and a pleasing experience…

Design has always been popularly associated with creativity and innovation… but then creativity and innovation are as much a part of other fields as in design. Isn’t a person who designs an efficient motor engine a designer? Or person who designs a rocket is a designer? Or a person who designs an innovative way of serving coffee a designer??? They are all designers to me…Then isn’t design a very broad term to use??? Or are their layers or facets or levels of design??? And then what are we taught in design schools??? Which facet?? Which layer?? Or which level?? What is a role of a designer????? I don't have answers to most...but I hope i'll be able to answer them in future...

With all the little understand that I have…I believe…
DESIGN not only integrates elements needed to achieve a solution to a problem but also creates an ‘interface’ with its Human Consumers/Users…
And its success lies in its capacity to both solving a problem and the solution be correctly understood by users/consumers (and create need, interest or a lasting impression to survive)…and that is ‘CREATIVITY or INNOVATION’ in Design…

I’m leaving you with these thoughts…

No comments: