Thursday, November 17, 2005

Confused state of mind

Aaaah, free time again…and time to post some ideas…

I just gave an interview and to my horror I was asked…’what I want to be??’....the most difficult question to answer…what can I be??

  • A Usability Expert
  • An Information Architect
  • A User Interface Designer
  • A Graphic Designer
  • An Interaction Designer
  • A User Experience Designer

It’s such a tricky question…either I don’t know the exact meaning or the whole world is confused about it…becoz I never got a clear definition of any of them…

So I though of defining it for myself…

Usability: I believe it’s a field which tries to identify problems in using a product. Also it covers the testing and user research areas.

Information Architecture: Information Architecture is a sub set of Information Design…and what it does is that it tries to simplify and present the information (or commands) in a more understandable and easily perceivable way to the user.

User Interface Designer: UI design basically concentrates on UI elements, their placement on the screen and the composition of the screen.

Graphic Designer: Graphic designer is concerned for the look and feel of the UI. The color schemes ad the icons.

Interaction Designer: Interaction Designer basically handles the interaction of the product. To be an interaction designer one need to have some basic understanding of Graphics, Usability and Information design.

User Experience Designer: User experience designer should come on top of every one. When we talk to ‘experience’, then we should understand that EXPERIENCE come when you have a perfect blend of all elements Graphics, Usability and Information Design. To generate an experience the product should be usable, should be good looking, should have interesting interactions to generate the WOOW effect and should be good in information design (again to make the product easy to use and to find information).

Any one reading this post is welcome to post comments…
I am waiting for some one who can clarify my doubts about these TERMS….

Cheers...

No comments: